What is the Patriot’s Promise Program?
Patriot’s Promise is a program created to support summer coursework for a select group of first year, full-time students who receive Pell grants at Mason. The program is also intended to reinforce behaviors associated with timely degree completion, including academic planning, financial planning, developing study skills and time management, and completion of at least 30 credits each year.
What we provide:
- Tuition and fees for up to six credits of summer coursework (Patriot’s Promise will cover the remaining balance after Pell grants are awarded)
- Access to Financial Aid Counselors and Academic Advising staff.
Qualifications for Participation:
- Be a Fall 2019 first-year, in-state, full-time undergraduate student at Mason OR a student recipient of PPSP funding in summer 2018.
- Have earned between 24-30 credits by the end of the spring 2019 semester.
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) above 2.0 at the end of spring semester.
- As of March 1, 2019, have received a federal Pell grant during the 2018-2019 academic year, and have accepted and utilized all other aid offered (including Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans) in their financial aid award for the fall and spring semesters of 2018-2019
How to Apply:
- Meet with an academic advisor and discuss a graduation plan, including summer courses to be covered by PPSP funds. See 4yearplans.gmu.edu for plan templates.
- Register for up to 2 summer classes before May 3, 2019.
- Apply for Summer 2019 Financial Aid using the 2019 Summer Aid Request Form. Note that you must be pre-registered for at least six credits in any combination of summer sessions (1, A, B, C, or D) to qualify for summer Pell funding.
- Register for a minimum of 15 credits* in fall 2019. *Please e-mail email@example.com if you have a reason for registering for fewer than 15 credits.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (if eligible) for the 2019-2020 year.
- Complete, sign, and submit the Patriot’s Promise Student Agreement and 2019 Summer Financial Aid Request Form via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or in person at the Center for Academic Advising, Retention, and Transitions (Sub 1 Suite 3600). These forms can be found below.
- Deadline: May 3rd, 2019 – 5:00PM
- Financial Aid: 703-993-2353
- 2019 Summer Aid Request Form
- Academic Advising
- Summer Housing (Housing and Residence Life): 703-993-2720
- Patriots Promise Student Agreement
For more information:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 703-993-2470
- Location: Center for Academic Advising, Retention, and Transitions (SUB 1 Suite 3600)
- Information Sessions: Monday, April 22 – 11:00AM-12:00PM – SUB 1 Room 3B, Tuesday, April 23rd – 3:00PM-4:00PM SUB 1 Room 3311